January 13th, 2012 7:41 AM by Taydus Taydus, AHWD, CNE, CRS, GRI
Who DOESN'T like to save money? Every month we unknowingly find ourselves paying more for items or services we don't need or don't use. Here are some helpful tips on how to save BIG on some common monthly expenses.
1. Ditch Cable - On average people pay $100 per month for cable television. Busy lifestyles mean that many rarely get to watch shows when they air, and rely on services like DVR to watch their favorite programs later. Why not consider a service like Hulu Plus or Netflix? It's simple to connect your computer to your television and watch TV when it's convenient for you. Average Savings per Month: $92
2. Sapce-by-Space Heat - Energy bills run, on average, $183 per month. By using a space heater in the rooms where you need it and setting the thermostat to 62 degrees, you can save approximately $200 each year. Average Savings per Month: $17
3. Cut the Phone Cord - With all of the functionality of smart phones, a landline may be unnecessary. By eliminating a monthly telephone bill, you can save on average $35 per month. Average Savings per Month: $35
4. Illuminate Your Savings - While not a large savings monthly, replacing light bulbs with an Energy Star qualified light bulbs can save $6 per year, and nearly $40 over its lifetime - and it will last six times longer. For example, if you have six lamps and you switch over to Energy Star qualified light bulbs, you can save $3 per month. It may not seem like a lot, but the savings will add up over time. Average Savings per Month: $3
5. Skip the Hot Water - By doing your laundry in cold water rather than hot, you reduce energy usage by 90 percent and can save $72 per year (and your clothes will be just as clean.) Average Savings per Month: $6
6. Work Out in Comfort - Skip the gym membership and save on average $775 per year. In many cities you will find the savings to be even greater. You can still get in your workouts - consider running or biking, or the many exercises that can be done with little or no equipment in the comfort of your own home. Average Savings per Month: $65
7. Use Your Kitchen - You are paying for your kitchen whether you use it or not. The average American eats out 6 times per month, spending an average of $172 (and even more for larger families.) Eat out just once a month and cook at home instead. Average Savings per Month: $144
8. Pull the Plug - By unplugging appliances and electronics when you are not using them, you can save a bundle on energy. Unplugging one fax maching, one computer monitor, and one television can save $70 per year! Just turning it off is not enough. Average Savings per Month: $6
There are many other ways to save! Be creative! Even doing some version of the above will help, and it all adds up.
Just a quick tip when reading my blog - did you know that if you click "post a comment" at the bottom of the blog you are reading you can see what others have posted? The number in parenthesis is the number of comments currently made :)
Please feel free to leave any comment you like about anything that is blogged here. Your insights and opinions could help someone else!
Please post respectfully.